Alleged Richmond Rape Victim Recants Story


RICHMOND, Calif. — A 15-year-old girl who told police she was kidnapped at gunpoint and sexually assaulted in Richmond on Friday night has recanted her story, a police lieutenant said Sunday.

The girl, who claimed she had been approached by four males in a black Buick around 5 p.m. Friday and forcibly taken into the vehicle at gunpoint, voluntarily told police at about 1 p.m. Sunday that the story was not true, Richmond police Lt. Mark Gagan said.

She said she had lied to make an excuse for not being home, that what she had been doing was consensual and that “at no point was she kidnapped,” Gagan said.

“We have found evidence to corroborate her second story and are still working to determine exactly what happened on Friday night,” he said.

Gagan said that closed circuit television footage taken where the girl claimed the kidnapping had begun revealed no criminal activity.

The investigation will continue, he said, due to the serious nature of the initial accusation.

“Where we are is we have been actively investigating a very serious allegation for the past 48 hours, and now the victim is telling us differently,” Gagan said. “Our victim is 15 years old and even if she had consensual sex with an adult, that person would be looking at statutory rape charges.”

Copyright 2010 by KTVU.com and Bay City News.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s